Where the Chiese river enters Lake Idro, right there in the south-eastern part of Trentino, nestles the village of Bondone, one of the most beautiful villages in Italy.
Image gallery: Bondone sul Lago d’Idro
Facing Lake Idro, the municipality of Bondone consists of two districts: Bondone village and Baitoni, 720 m a.s.l. on the mountain side and 371 m a.s.l. - about 1 km apart. Above the village is the Monte Alpo with its alpine pastures and the Cima Tombea, the highest point, covered in summer with a sea of countless species of flowers. From here, on a clear day, the view stretches from the Dolomites to Lake Garda, from the Po Valley to the Apennines.
Until a few decades ago, Bondone was mainly known as the "Village of the Carbonai" (charcoal burners), due to the main activity of its inhabitants. To them is also dedicated the bronze statue that stands at the gates of the village, the "Monument of the Carbonai", which announces the characteristic street network and the old houses of the village, where you can also admire the beautiful frescoes on the outer walls of the buildings. In August, the atmosphere of the village is enlivened by the actors of the "Bondone in Strada" festival.
Particularly worth seeing are the parish church of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary, dating back to 1300, and the Castel San Giovanni from the 11th century, which was owned for centuries by the powerful Lodron family, today belongs to the municipality of Bondone and is open to the public at certain times. From the castle, the view opens on the Valle del Chiese valley and the enchanting Lake Idro, which was awarded the Blue Flag in 2022. The municipality of Bondone is an ideal holiday destination: In addition to cultural activities, hiking and cycling paths, the proximity of Lake Idro offers the opportunity to relax and enjoy the beaches of Baitoni, take walks through the lake's biotope or practice water sports.