The chief city of the Alta Valsugana is situated at the entrance of the Valle del Fersina and is surrounded by wide, sunny lowland as well as forested valleys and mountains.
The city of Pergine, situated about 10 chilometres in the east of Trento, is characterised by numerous Renaissance buildings, monuments and churches. Another jewel of the city is located above the city on the Tegazzo hill, that is the Mediaeval Pergine Castle. Nearly all of the construction has been preserved. This castle is surrounded by robust walls and dominates the Alta Valsugana valley. Today it is a restaurant, hotel and museum. The name of the city, however, derives from a church, also situated on a hill, dating back to the year 1200.
Not far from Pergine, there is the lake Caldonazzo as well as the San Cristoforo beaches. The lake is perfectly suitable for water sports like windsurfing, sailing, swimming and dragon boat. Moreover the surroundings of Pergine offer different forests and meadows with hiking paths, perfect for extended walks. You can for examle walk to the archeologic place of discovery of Serso as well as hike to the peaks of the Lagorai mountains. However, not far from the new sports centre, there is also a biotope and lake Pudro, as well as lake Madrano and Canzolino, situated at a slightly higher altitude.