Where the Leno river enters Val d’Adige, right there on a little crag, towers the castle of Rovereto.
Image gallery: Castello di Rovereto
It is due to Venetian aristocrats that the castle got its oh-so characteristic polygonal shape. The guard’s walkways, the moat, the keeps, the bow ram and the mighty bastion render the building one of the best examples of late-medieval fortresses all over the Alpine region.
The castle was built in the 14th century by the noble Castelbarco family, who in 1509 handed it over to the Habsburgs. While it became an asylum for homeless people and a penal institution in early 19th century, it served as a military seat from 1859 to 1918. During World War 1, both the castle and the city of Rovereto were occupied by Austrian troops and thus merciless shelled by the Italian artillery.
Since 1921 the castle has hosted the Italian Museum of War. More than 30 halls will tell you everything about Italy’s past and even about the castles of the Vallagarina valley.
Museo storico italiano della guerra
Via Castelbarco, 7
38068 Rovereto (TN)
phone.: +39 0464 438100
Opening hours museum
Tuesday - Sunday: 10 am - 6 pm (July, August and September, sundays until 7 pm)
Closed on Mondays (except feast days) and on 24th, 25th, 31st of December and 1st of January.
normal: 7,50- Euros
reduced: 5,50 - Euros
Children from 6 to 17 years: 2,- Euros
Barriers for wheelchair users exist. in this case we suggest to contact the museum (tel.: 0464 438100).
Small animals - either hold or placed in a bag - are allowed.