castel pergine
castel pergine

Castel Pergine

The impressive castle complex of Pergine, which is enthroned on the Tegazzo hill, visible from afar, watches over the upper Valsugana valley

Castel Pergine, once a Roman settlement, which was converted into a medieval castle complex in the 13th century, is the gateway to the Valsugana valley. For a long time it was in the hands of Margaret of Tyrol, called Maultasch, afterwards it came into the possession of Emperor Maximilian I. In 1531 Bernardo Clesio, Cardinal of Trento, was appointed judge in Pergine: Castel Pergine thus became the property of the Prince-Bishops of Trento for a long time. In 1901 Ferdinand Putz from Bavaria acquired the castle and had it renovated before it was finally sold on to the Swiss Mario Oss in 1956. He converted a part of it into a castle hotel with restaurant, while the rest of the castle became a cultural meeting place.

Of particular historical value are the fireplace room (Camera del Camino), the throne room (Sala del Trono), the so-called drop prison (Prigione della Goccia), where prisoners chained to their hands and necks were subjected to constant dribbling on their heads, and the Chapel of St. Andrew (Cappella di Sant'Andrea). Since summer 2022, the latter has been home to a valuable, antique altarpiece from the 16th century, which was found only a few years ago and subsequently restored. The first floor of Castel Pergine is open to the public, as well as the castle park inside the defensive wall.

In November 2018, Castel Pergine was acquired by the non-profit foundation "Fondazione Castel Pergine Onlus", making it the first Italian cultural public property. Today, the venerable walls house a hotel and restaurant, and the foundation organises an annual exhibition and cultural events, such as music and theatre performances.

Contact info

Opening times

  • Thu 07 Dec closed
  • Fri 08 Dec closed
  • Sat 09 Dec closed
  • Sun 10 Dec closed
  • Mon 11 Dec closed
  • Tue 12 Dec closed
  • Wed 13 Dec closed

Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.

Full timetables
Despite careful control we cannot guarantee the correctness of the provided data.

Opening times "Parco tra le mura": (02/04/2023 - 30/10/2023)

  • Mon 10:00 - 20:00
  • Tue 10:00 - 20:00
  • Wed 10:00 - 20:00
  • Thu 10:00 - 20:00
  • Fri 10:00 - 20:00
  • Sat 10:00 - 20:00
  • Sun 10:00 - 20:00


Guided castle tour + art exhibition:
10.00 €: adult
5.00 €: reduced ticket (under 14)

Parco tra le mura: freely accessible

More information

Reopening: March 23, 2024

Saturday afternoon and Sunday:
Guided castle tour + art exhibition (approx. 1.5 hours)

Suggest an edit/correction

Our editorial staff is always committed to ensuring the highest quality and accuracy of the information we publish. If you have suggestions to improve this page you can send them to us using the form below. Thank you in advance!


Suggested accommodations

  1. Nif: alpine taste
    Nif: alpine taste
    Bed & breakfast

    Nif: alpine taste

Tips and more infos