Since the 11th century, the medieval castle has guarded the Vallagarina valley, the southern section of the Adige valley.
Image gallery: Castel Noarna
Originally, Castel Noarna or Castelnuovo, located in the same-named district of the municipality of Nogaredo, was probably a Roman fortress. The keep, the fortifications and the battlements with a horizontal end date back to the 13th century. The wooden drawbridge was monitored from the watchtower. Inside, next to the keep and two guard posts, there is also the kennel, where several women accused of witchcraft were imprisoned during the famous witch trials of Nogaredo (1646 – 1647).
Until the 13th century, the venerable building was in possession of the Lords of Castelnuovo, afterwards it belonged to the Lords of Castelbarco and finally to the Lords of Lodron, who restored the castle, added new rooms and frescoed it. The present exterior of the manor dates back to this period, as well as the St. Ruprecht Chapel, a baroque treasure designed by the architect Solari.
Inside this chapel you can see a column from 1580 depicting the coronation of Mary, flanked by Saint Nicholas and Saint Francis. Also remarkable are the wooden loggia and the hall of honour, which was partly painted in the style of Michelangelo. Towards the end of the 19th century, the Lords of Lodron moved away and Noarna Castle became a summer residence before it was completely abandoned. Today it houses a famous winery that produces around 35,000 bottles of wine a year.
In 2020 Noarna Castle will remain closed to the public.