Segonzano Castle is a typical medieval building from the 13th century, with crenellated walls and towers, located on a cliff above the Avisio river near the village of Cantilaga.
Image gallery: Castello di Segonzano
The area around the Castello di Segonzano, was of great importance in the Middle Ages, since the spruce wood for the ships of the Venetian troops came from here. The wood was transported on the Avisio torrent to Venice, for this reason the Val di Fiemme valley was able to record a special independence. In the 12th century it even led to the establishment of the self-government of the “Magnifica Comunità di Fiemme”, which is still in force today.
In 1216 the castle became the property of Rodolfo Scancio. During the following centuries, the owners of the castle changed constantly: from the Scancio family to the Rottenburger and Greifenstein families or the Counts of Tyrol. Today Segonzano Castle is in the hands of the A Prato family, who also underwent important restoration work in the 16th century. However, the castle has not been inhabited for centuries, more precisely since a looting and fire in 1796.
The castle ruins, surrounded by fruit trees and vines, can be easily reached. A nice walking path leads from Corvaia, near Piazzo di Segonzano, straight to the Castello di Segonzano.