From the 12th to the 18th century, Buonconsiglio Castle was the seat of the prince-bishops. It is the largest and most important castle in the entire region.
Image gallery: Castello del Buonconsiglio
On a rocky hill in the heart of the town of Trento towers the mighty Buonconsiglio Castle, the most important secular example of architecture in Trentino. The majestic castle dates back to the years 1239-1255 and served as the see of the prince bishops of Trento until the secularisation of the principality in 1802. The castle owes its present structure to the efforts of these prince-bishops and, of course, some of the best architects of the time.
The castle includes several buildings of different eras and is surrounded by a mighty wall of the 16th century. Behind the wall with its cylindrical bastions there is a beautiful Italian park. Above it the massive Torre d’Augusto is towering, which together with the medieval Palazzo Vecchio and its Gothic-venetian loggia make up the historic centre of the castle. Close to it the prince bishop Bernhard Cles built the Magno Palazzo, which dates back to the Renaissance era.
In 1973 the castle became the seat of the regional museum of art, also referred to as Castello del Buonconsiglio Museum. Numerous art collections, ranging from paintings and manuscripts to tiled stoves as well as archaeologic and numismatic collections are exhibited here. Among the valuable baroque and Gothic frescoes is the so-called “Ciclo dei Mesi”, which belongs to the world’s most precious frescoes.
Opening hours museum:
Tuesday - Sunday
29th of October 2018 - 5th of May 2019: 9.30 am - 5 pm
7th of May - 03th of November 2019: 10 am - 6 pm
Closed on Mondays (except fest days) as well as on the 25th of December.
normal: 10 Euro
several reductions, children up to 15 years free
Barriers for wheelchair users exist. in this case we suggest to contact the museum (phone: 0461 233770). For wheelchair users and their company the entrance is free.
phone: +39 0461 233770