Roccabruna Castle, a medieval complex in the centre of Fornace, is also known as Castel Fornace
Image gallery: Castello Roccabruna
Roccabruna Castle is located on the hill of St. Martin (Collina di San Martino) and serves today as the town hall of Fornace. Built in the 13th century, the medieval complex was part of the defensive wall of the upper Valsugana valley. Under the powerful Roccabruna family from the Trentino, it was converted into a Renaissance castle and residence in the 16th century.
In the following time, the castle changed hands several times and passed into the possession of the Gaudenti noble family and the Counts Giovanelli, who sold it to the municipality of Fornace in 1853 to build the new St. Martin Parish Church. Part of the castle was demolished to give place to the new church. The south-east wing and the adjoining tower as well as some last witnesses of the former splendour as a Renaissance castle have been preserved. These include the windows with rustication, the portal decorated with coats of arms and the beautiful courtyard with an arcade.
The castle can be visited. Advance notice by telephone is required.