Castel San Michele, named after Saint Michael, to whom the chapel was dedicated, rises on an inaccessible cliff.
Image gallery: Castel San Michele
Thanks to its position on an inaccessible promontory above the village of Ossana and along the trade route of the Passo Tonale, between the Trentino and the upper area of Brescia, the castle enjoyed complete civil and criminal administration under the Episcopal Curia. It is supposed, that the complex dates back to the Langobards, but the first written evidence dates back to 1191.
Several noble families owned the castle, among them also the Prince-Bishops of Trento, the Counts of Gorizia-Tyrol and Bertha von Suttner, the Nobel Peace Prize winner of 1905. The mighty keep, about 25 m high, is not only the most characteristic element but also the best preserved of the entire complex. Parts of the castle are also a drawbridge, a fortified porch, guard rooms and a prison.
For visits, please contact the Tourist Office of the Val di Sole valley, Pejo and Rabbi or directly the municipality of Ossana.