Castel Cles rises on a hill surrounded by orchards and woods, on the shores of Lake S. Giustina.
Image gallery: Castel Cles
The castle was first mentioned in documents from the 12th century. It was Prince-Bishop Bernhard Cles who decorated and extended the castle and gave Castel Cles its current Renaissance style. In the course of the years, the castle was damaged several times. Especially at the time of the peasant uprising at the beginning of the 16th century it became the object of a raid. In 1825 a fire raged and one of the three towers had to be demolished. Other parts of the castle were not affected by this fire and like this frescoes by Marcello Fogolino from the 16th century have been preserved to this day.
Castel Cles is in private hands of the Barons of Cles and cannot be visited.